Saturday, December 19, 2015

Utah, part 2

I was back in Utah this past week to continue working on what we had started two weeks ago. The main focus this week was to build a permanent magnet Zeeman slower (similar to the one I'm using in my lab).


When I left on Friday we saw first indication that it's working a little (that's expected - now it needs to be tweaked to make it really nice and capture a lot of atoms). For comparison, here's another photo of the Yb MOT. Significantly bigger already!


When I left Portland it was raining (and Jan told me that it only got worse from there!).


Monday morning in Provo had a light dusting of snow on the ground,


and the snow kept coming.



After a week it was bye-bye Utah again (until next summer).




















While it was a fun experience, I am very glad to be home again with Jan and the beasties :).

No comments:

Post a Comment