Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas 2015

Christmas this year was very low key and calm with just the two of us (plus pets, of course). Jan did some last minute shopping in the morning, had a nice walk (mostly dry, even!), and then prepped dinner. Meat fondue, as always, but this year also with some bison. Yummy.

After dinner we could *finally* open the presents. They had been taunting me for WEEKS by now!!! Here's the moment when I unwrapped my brand-new shiny Surface Book (and when I said to Jan "You're crazy!" because it's so pricey!). LOVE it. In fact, I am writing this update on it. The keyboard is fantastic, very responsive and I like the clicking sound it makes (funny, I know).

I had a little scare when I started it up and it wouldn't let me log in with my Microsoft account. But after updating everything and restarting all was good. Phew! Abby was a big helper, of course!

Just in time, we received a package from Helga and Wolfgang. The bow from one of the presents was a perfect fit for our pooch, and look at him pose!
I am also excited about the pizza cutter and server. Time to make some again!
UPDATE:  Here's the pizza cutter in action. Nevermind the thick dough, we had some issues. BUT, the cutter works beautifully!




That green thing in the photo is Jan's present: A Swagway X1, one of those hoverboards that people go nuts about. It took a few minutes to get used to it, but look at my hubby ride it in confidence! (Also note Abby sitting on the counter top - probably a very sensible decisions :)).

We took it for a spin in the evening, and while there were a few uh-oh moments, Jan's incredible sense of balance helped him out and he didn't fall. Encouraged by that success we took it on our long morning walk on the 25th.

No falling, but for some reason the red light indicating that the board is unbalanced kept coming on, which made for brief bursts of riding followed by switching on and off and even resetting it. Hm... It's possible that Jan is unbalanced himself since he's just learning how to do it. Let's hope it's not something more serious! I sent an email to the company to see if that's something they've seen before. In the mean time, we read up on how to properly reset it (which seemed to help), and Jan just finished opening it up and checking all the connections (some may have been a bit loose, we'll see). Fingers crossed! (Update from tonight: That really seems to solve the issue. We can get a lot more distance out of it, and it gets worse and worse the longer we go. So clearly there is some loose connection. Jan's been trying to fix it with electrical tape. It's better, but not there yet. We'll keep you posted!)

Earlier today I rode it inside as well (outside is still a very different matter!). FUN!


No comments:

Post a Comment