Monday, December 28, 2015

Sherwood Ice Rink

For the first time in a long time we decided to go ice skating again. We couldn't remember, although I am sure we have photos of the last time somewhere here on this blog, but since we moved to Oregon in 2008 we've only been once. So... it wasn't too surprising that our skates had felt a bit neglected and had a few spots of rust on them. First order of business - directly after finding a parking spot and standing in line for quite a while (that place was PACKED!) - get the skates sharpened. The guy did it for $10 for both pairs, which I thought was a really good price (they had a sign saying that it would be between $20 and $30 per pair).
Here's us, waiting for the skates to be done.


And on the ice we went. It was pretty slippery at first, but we got used to it, at least somewhat, pretty quickly. Because it was so crowded I spent a lot of time just looking left and right, trying to avoid collisions with others who were not watching where they were going, or who were fighting to stay up and losing. So many folks just dropped down right in front of me. Besides that it was a lot of fun.


At 3 they told everyone to get off the ice to redo the surface. Jan and I had a coffee while we watched them make the ice all nice and shiny again. (We did leave the ice a bit earlier, not knowing that they'd have a break at 3, which made the line to the coffee place significantly shorter for us!)

It was a lot of fun skating on the fresh ice. No bumps, and not as many people back from their break yet. Even though, I didn't last long. My muscles were absolutely fine, but my feet were killing me. Have they grown over the last years??? Or have the skates been this small ever since I bought them?

Oh, and have a look at this ad that was placed prominently above the rink:



No comments:

Post a Comment