Monday, May 16, 2016

An evening with Lucius

I've been a Lucius fan ever since I heard their song "How loud your heart gets" on NPR, which is maybe a year ago? Maybe two?? Anyways... Just for giggles I decided to see if they happen to go on tour any time soon, and guess what! They are currently touring and were in Portland on May 9th! Very exciting!! The downside - that's a Monday. But who cares!
So Jan I bought tickets and headed to the 'Wonder Ballroom' in Portland. It's an old church that has been turned into a place for concerts and such. Not much seating (and with my knee that was challenging), but otherwise a great place. 

The doors opened at 7:30, and the concert was scheduled to start at 8:30. So we figured, maybe 1.5 hours, so we'll be home by 10:30 or so. Late, for us, but not too late. Oh, how naive we were! I guess this comes as no surprise to most, but there is actually another artist scheduled right before the main event, and then there's typically a break to change the set. So, we were looking at 45 minutes + 30 minutes more. Gulp! I can't remember the last time I've been up that late. Heehee...

The opening act was Margaret Glaspy. I liked maybe one or two of her songs; the rest were rather meh. Maybe that's because the sound didn't seem to be set up perfectly; it was very difficult to understand the lyrics. 

Lucius on the other hand were fantastic! I had never seen them on stage before, so I didn't know what to expect. Turns out, they all play more than one instrument, and the rotate through them fluently and often during a single song. Quite impressive. And yes. I love their harmonies! Great show, great songs, great times!

No comments:

Post a Comment