Friday, March 29, 2019

Catching up - it's been a while!

We have been very busy these last few months, so we haven't really gotten around to keeping our blog up to date. Time to catch up!

Michaela and I went on a chocolate walking tour through Portland in mid January: we visited a good half dozen chocolatiers in downtown and sampled their creations. In the beginning I was worried there wouldn't be enough chocolate to taste, but towards the end of the tour I had to decline sampling any more chocolate...so much chocolate!


A few days later I headed up to Seattle to attend CUWiP (conference for undergraduate women in physics) to connect to the next generation of local physicists and introduce them to ESI. Alycia, a former student of Michaela who is now a Laser engineer at ESI, joined me in the effort. Just like last year it was a great experience: the atmosphere of a women-dominated physics event is incredibly positive. 




As every year in late January/early February I made my way down to San Francisco to attend Photonics West. And like last year I invited myself to stay at Rob's place, which is within walking distance of the Moscone Center where Photonics West takes place - so convenient. But while last year Rob's wife Kristen was travelling during my visit, this year it was Rob's turn: he had to fly to China on short notice...
But what are a few thousand miles in the age of modern technology? As Kristen and I took a scenic walk through San Francisco, Rob joined us via phone:



 Jolie and Olive were very sweet companions, particularly during breakfast!

The view from Rob's building was again breathtaking - I only learned this time around about the roof terrace!

The traditional evening reception was organized by a much younger event manager than in past decades(!) - it was noticeably different. The theme was optics superheroes...



ESI hosted a team building event at the Allison Inn in mid February - not really noteworthy if it wasn't for the tower and bridge building challenge - out of chocolate. Not to brag or anything, but my team won :)

It's been an intense three months for both of us and so we have made it a point to visit state parks or the coast on as many weekends as possible to decompress. I very much cherish those time outs.




























































No comments:

Post a Comment