Sunday, May 11, 2014

Yokohama - 4/21-4/25

I went on a brief trip to Yokohama for a Conference this April - my very first time to Japan!

The experience was rather brief and I didn't catch much outside of the conference center. But I did check into a genuine Japanese Hotel (with a German motto about hospitality no less!) versus the standard international Conference hotel. And that indeed gave me a different perspective on space - here is my hotel room:



These are the two views: from the entrance door and from the window: enough space to sleep and store your carry-on, but anything more would have been a stretch...

Toilets are a little different, too. And you are provided with slippers so that you don't have to walk barefoot or with the same shoes that you use in your hotel room in your bathroom, which is considered fundamentally 'unclean'.

People dress VERY sharply - both men and women. I was noticeably one of the poorest dressed people in my 'west coast business casual' attire walking Yokohama's streets...also, I didn't wear a surgical face mask, which is quite a common sight for various reasons (people are sick, don't want to get sick or have allergies).

One more picture to share: I encountered this sight several times, particularly at the airport. Restaurants showing off their various offerings:
(believe it or not - it's all plastic!)


No comments:

Post a Comment