Thursday, January 6, 2011

And more about Pepper

Walking on the leash - A (as in awesome!).
Riding in the car - A.
Being calm in the office so that I can get some work done - B+. Huge improvement over Tuesday. I did some retrieving with him outside the office before we went in and that seemed to help. Also, I started turning on the heater (which is very noisy) when I want him to lie down and snooze. And he seems to get that too. Of course, getting some playtime (off leash) with Daisy helps as well!
Being alone in the office or his room - B+. He's usually really good with that, but he does whine a little when there is activity outside and he is not allowed to join in (no surprise there, how unfair is that?!).
Feeding time - by now A-. There was a lot of barking when Abby and George got to eat out of his bowl first. But ever since the one water spray in his face when he started to get the barking fit in my office he seems to get it. (He's so smart, a blessing and a curse!). So now we have a quadruple stack in his bowl: His food at the bottom, then George's and Abby's bowls, then something for me on top, and there was no barking at all! I think he has fully accepted that he is the lowest in rank. Awesome!
Lastly, moving around freely in the house while respecting the kitties: C+. Got to work on that. Which I guess is fair as he so far has either been with me at work or mostly in his room, so the house is still brand new and exciting. Abby is wonderful with him. She lets him sniff her and when he gets too rough for her taste (which is pretty much every time), she raises a paw or hisses. Nothing really angry, just firmly telling him what's ok and what isn't. When she does that I typically reinforce the "Leave it!" and I'm sure we'll get there in time. George is still not too confident around Pepper, but again, once Pepper calms down more I am sure George will calm down as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment